Australian Consulate-General
Mumbai, India

Notarial Services

Notarial services are provided by the Australian Consulate-General for Australian documents or for foreign documents to be used in Australia

Please ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian Consulate-General are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Consulate-General in Mumbai guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.


Notarial services are offered in person and by appointment at the Australian Consulate-General, Mumbai. Please bring your valid passport and the original documents to the appointment.

Under the Consular Fees Act of 1955, fees apply to notarial services. Fee are payable in Indian Rupees only. Credit card payment is preferred, we accept all credit and debit cards except AMEX. Payment can also be made in cash or Demand Draft favouring Australian Consulate-General, Mumbai. For more information on fees payable, please contact the Consular Section on +91 22 6757 4900 or email

Before requesting a notarial service from the Consulate-General, please make sure you know exactly what service you require.  You should confirm this with the organisation that requires your documents. We are not able to provide advice on which notarial service you need.  Further information on notarial services can be found on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website at

Notarial services available include:

Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

The laws of some countries require that, before a foreigner may marry within their jurisdiction, he or she must produce a certificate issued by the authorities of the country to which he or she belongs, stating that those authorities are unaware of any impediment to the marriage. Such a certificate is known as a Certificate of No Impediment.

A Certificate of No Impediment is a general statement of the law in Australia concerning the recognition of foreign marriages. The Certificate makes no warranty as to the capacity of a particular couple to marry. However, a Certificate will not be issued if the marriage appears to be one that will not be recognised in Australia. For example if either person is under 18 years of age or if either person is already married or if the parties are closely related.

There is no specific legislation in Australia authorising the issue of a Certificate of No Impediment by Consular Officers. Certificates are issued administratively to

(a) Australians, and
(b) citizens of other countries who are domiciled in Australia.

It is your responsibility to ascertain whether the authorities in the country concerned require a Certificate to be issued by the Australian Consulate-General or whether a certificate issued in Australia is acceptable.

When submitting an application, please provide documentary evidence of your date of birth, nationality, Australian residency and, if either party is divorced or widowed, the relevant decree absolute or death certificate. Application forms and information are available by clicking the link

Please note that if there is any doubt that your intended marriage will be recognised by Australian authorities, you should consult a lawyer as Consular Officers are unable to determine that on your behalf.

Please allow two standard business working days for collection of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.

Witnessing a signature (Statutory Declarations and Affidavits)

Statutory Declarations:

The Consulate can only witness an Australian Statutory Declaration for use in Australia by an Australian entity. Please complete the statutory declaration (do not sign) and have it ready for an officer to witness your signature at the Australian Consulate-General Mumbai.

For further information and a copy of a blank statutory declaration form for the Commonwealth or a State or Territory, please click here.


An affidavit is a written statement that allows the person making it to present evidence in court or other legal proceedings. The person making the affidavit must take an oath (a sworn commitment based on religious belief) or make an affirmation (a secular sworn commitment) that the contents of the affidavit are true and correct. It is generally an offence to swear to, or affirm, false information.

The Consulate's role is to witness the affidavit and administer the oath or affirmation. It does not attest to the authenticity or truth of the content of the evidence or information.

Before visiting the Australian Consulate-General check the following with the recipient or a legal representative:

  • Do you and the witness need to sign or initial each page?  Or do you only need to sign one page?
  • Do you have any exhibits to the affidavits?  And what wording needs to be written on each exhibit?

Please bring along clear instructions, your ID and your affidavit including all exhibits and attachments.

Powers of Attorney

For information on powers of attorney for each state visit and


Most wills do not require an authorised witness. The Consulate is unable to witness international wills.

For information on wills for each state visit

Witnessing Renewal of Driver's Licence

The Australian Consulate-General does not renew driver's licences. Contact the relevant State Government licence issuing Authority in Australia to obtain the necessary forms to renew your licence while residing overseas. In some cases your licence renewal forms may need to be witnessed by a Consular Officer. If this is required by the Licensing Authority, you will need to attend the Consulate-General in person, bring along the form, and any additional  documents the Licensing Authority requires by way of proof of identity (details of which are on the form).

Fees will be charged based upon the type and the quantity of services the Consulate are required to undertake by the Licencing Authority.

Please refer to the website below for further information and contact details of all State Government driver's licence issuing authorities in Australia: Driver's Licence Issuing Authorities in Australia

As each document is different, Consular Officers are not able to provide advice on the requirements of your particular document.  It is your responsibility to check with the originator of the document whether an Australian Consular Officer is able to witness your signature on the document.

Certifying copies of original documents

Consular Officers can provide certified copies of certain original documents. Consular officers will only certify documents that are Australian in origin, or are intended for use in Australia, or have been requested by an Australian Federal, State or Local Government authority.

The Australian Consulate-General uses a stamp which the following wording appears on our certified copies: “This is a true copy of the document presented to me", followed by the certifying officer’s stamp with their name, title and the Consulate stamp.

Should you require alternative wording you might consider approaching a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, or other specified professional, to perform the service for you.

If your documents were issued electronically, please bring along an electronic copy (e.g. on your phone/tablet) or email a copy of the document to the Consulate prior to your appointment. 

Authorising someone to certify your documents

Please note you should be present for the Consulate to certify your documents. If you are unable to attend the Consulate in person, you must write an authorisation letter to authorise another person to have the documents certified on your behalf. Please provide a document to match your signature on the authorisation letter.

Authentication and Apostille


Officers at the Australian Consulate-General, Mumbai are able to authenticate most official Australian documents.

If you require authentication of an education document, please provide verification from the issuing institution. Contact the issuing institution for assistance.

Education documents presented to the Consulate for an authentication must have been issued by an Australian accredited education authority. See the Australian Qualifications Framework website for more information on who can issue education documents in Australia. Some educational authorities provide online verification.

If your education document was issued by an institution in a foreign country, it will need to be authenticated by that country.

This service takes two standard business working days. The document(s) can either be collected or be sent out by mail. 


Officers at the Australian Consulate-General, Mumbai are able to affix an Apostille on most documents that qualify as Australian public documents. 

This service takes two standard business working days. The document(s) can either be collected or be sent out by mail. 

Authentication or Apostille?

You should check with the local authorities requesting the document as to their requirements in order to ensure that the appropriate service is provided for your documents to be accepted. Consulate staff cannot advise clients of foreign requirements.

Property and Mortgage Documents

The Australian Consulate-General can witness your signature on some land, mortgage or property documents, certify documents and complete the DFAT Identity Certificate. We are unable to provide legal advice.

Each document is different and we are unable to advise you what is required. Check with the person or organisation which sent you your documents to see if a Consular Officer can witness your signature on the document. You may also seek advice from your Australian legal practitioner, law practice licensed conveyancer or mortgagee, e.g. bank.

Australian states and territories have rules and requirements in relation to land or property transactions, this includes the requirement to conduct a face-to-face interview with the individual who is signing a property document and that the identification documents used to verify a person's identity must be original.

Fees for completing a land transfer at the Consulate can be over Rs 20,000.The Consulate-General charge a witnessing fee per document per person and a certified copy fee per document per copy. For example, a couple who are purchasing a property and require two copies of a mortgage document plus two certified documents each (e.g. a passport and a Indian ID) will be charged 4 x witnessing + 4 x certifying = 8 charges. This would be INR 28,000 – INR 30,000 depending on the monthly exchange rate. You may want to first contact a notary public to see if they can witness your documents for a lower fee. There is no charge for the DFAT Identity Certificate.

Identifiers Certificates' or 'Verification of Identity Certificates'

The Consulate can complete the DFAT Identity Certificate for land, property or mortgage transactions. The Consulate will not sign any other 'Identifiers Certificates' or 'Verification of Identity Certificates'. Check your requirements with your Australian representative and ask them if you need a DFAT Identity Certificate before visiting the Australian Consulate.

Please note the Consulate cannot sign the DFAT Identity Certificate on its own. The certificate states that the Consular Officer needs to witness the applicant execute a document such as the client authorisation, transfer of land, mortgage of land etc. This means if you require the Consulate to complete the DFAT Identity Certificate, we will also need to witness the execution of a land, property or mortgage document.

Who else can do this?

Check with your representative to see if someone else can witness or certify your documents.  Each state has different requirements, refer to the relevant links below: