Australian Consulate-General
Mumbai, India

Adult Passport, Apply for a Passport in a New Name

Step 1 - Fill out your application form

Please do not use whiteout on the declaration section. If you make a mistake, you can cross it out and initial next to the change. If you have signed incorrectly, please fill in a new form.

Online: This link will allow you to confirm that you are eligible to apply for your adult passport.

Note: You cannot download blank forms.

After you have completed your form online, print it and sign inside the white box and date the application form. Make sure there are no alterations to signatures or dates.


In person: You can collect a paper copy of the application at the Australian Consulate-General, Mumbai. You will need a guarantor and additional documents so we suggest that you collect this form before making an appointment to lodge your application.


Step 2 - Prove your Australian Citizenship

You must provide either an original Australian Citizenship Certificate or an original full Australian Birth Certificate to prove Australian citizenship. Extracts, commemorative birth certificates or birth cards cannot be used. If you were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, you must also provide one of the following four documents:

  1. Your Australian passport issued on/after 1/1/2000 that was valid for 2 years or more; or
  2. One parent’s full Australian birth certificate (parent born prior to 20/8/1986); or
  3. One parent’s Australian passport issued on/after 20/8/1986 that was valid for 2 years and was valid at the time of the applicant’s birth; or
  4. One parent’s Australian citizenship certificate, valid at the time of the applicant’s birth.

If you cannot provide the above documents, you must get a certificate of citizenship.  Please refer to the Australian Citizenship section under Citizenship – Visa and Migration  for further information.

If your Australian citizenship document does not show your sex or place and country of birth, you must provide your original birth certificate (not an extract, commemorative birth certificate or birth card) or, if you cannot present your original birth certificate, your foreign passport.


Translation of foreign documents

Any supporting documentation that is not in English will need an original full English language translation provided by a registered translation service.


Step 3 – Photos

Three identical colour photos that are no more than six months old. Please carefully check the Passport photo guidelines to avoid rejection. Home-printed photos are usually not acceptable as there are strict requirements.

Your Guarantor (see Step 4) must endorse one photo in black pen as follows: “This is a true photo of [the applicant’s full name]”, and then sign it below. Do not use paper clips or staples to attach photos to the form as this may make them unusable.


Step 4 – Guarantor

As well as endorsing your photo, ensure Section 11 is completed by a guarantor who meets the following criteria:

  • is 18 years of age or over
  • has known the applicant for at least 12 months
  • is not related to the applicant by birth, marriage, de facto or same sex relationship, or lives at the applicant's address
  • holds a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years validity 


If the guarantor is not an Australian Passport holder he/she must be currently employed in the following approved professional or occupational group and contactable:

1.   Chartered Accountants

2.   Bank Managers

3.   Legal practitioners

4.   Chartered professional engineers

5.   Dentists

6.   Registered Medical Practitioners

7.   Holders of statutory offices for which an annual salary is payable

8.   Judges

9.   Police Officers

10. Postal Managers

11. Public Servants – current full-time employees of state or local governments or statutory authorities

12. Teachers – full time

13. Registered veterinary surgeons


Step 5 – Name change documents

  • In the first instance you are required to contact the Registry of Birth, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) and request for a name change certificate. If you were born and live overseas and can demonstrate that you do not meet Australian RBDM residency requirements to register a name change, you may use the name in a foreign name change, marriage or registered relationship certificate, provided this was issued after you obtained Australian citizenship, and has been properly legalised or apostilled by the issuing government.


  • If such document/s are not written in English, you must also provide a full English translation prepared by an approved translation service.


  • Kindly note foreign name change, marriage or registered relationship certificates are not acceptable evidence of name change/s if you were born in or live in Australia.


  • If you are residing in India we suggest you contact a lawyer or seek information on the process of a name change certificate. We would like to inform you only the Gazette document is not accepted as a name change certificate; additionally a document (normally an affidavit) which is signed by the Judicial Magistrate would be required. This document needs to then be apostilled by the India Government. Apostilles are normally done by the Home Department of the particular state you reside in. Please see attached link for information on apostilles:


Step 6 – Additional documents

You need specific documents to prove your identity. You must provide the following combinations of original documents:

One document from category A, and

One document from category B

If neither of these documents shows your current address, you must also provide one document from category C that shows your current address.


Category A (All Category A documents should be current at the time of application)

  • Current driving licence issued by an Australian/foreign government’s driving/traffic/motor vehicle licensing authority
  • Foreign residency card
  • Australian Proof of Age or Photo Card


Category B (All Category B documents must be current at the time of application, with the exception of the Australian passport)

  • Health card issued by a government authority
  • Credit card or bank account card with current signature on the back
  • Foreign passport
  • National Insurance card

Category C (All Category C documents must be no more than 12 months old at the time of application and show your current residential address)

  • Utilities bills
  • Bank or Credit card statement with residential address
  • Motor vehicle registration or insurance papers
  • Property rates notice or property lease agreement
  • Home insurance papers


Step 7 - Make an appointment to lodge your passport application 

For Passport applications lodged at the Australian Consulate-General, Mumbai a prior appointment is required. You can book your appointment via email [email protected] or phone +91 22 6757 4900.


Step 8 - Lodge your application and pay the fee. Applications must be lodged in person at the Australian Consulate-General in Mumbai.


Things to bring:

  1. The completed and signed Australian Passport Overseas Application form
  2. Your most recent Australian passport (if you have one)
  3. Original Birth Certificate
  4. Proof of citizenship
  5. Three Passport Photos
  6. Additional documents (Step 6)
  7. Passport Fee (if applicable)



Fees are set in Australian dollars, and converted into Indian Rupees. The exchange rate is reviewed monthly.

We are only able to accept payment in Indian Rupees. Payment at our office can be made by Credit or Debit cards.

We do not accept American Express (AMEX) Cards.


Passport Type:                                                                                                                                 Fee


  1. 10 year validity passport (for persons aged 18 and over)                   INR 23,000 (AUD 436)


Gratis name change

If you have more than two years validity remaining on your current passport, you can replace it free of charge if you are changing your name due to:

  • Marriage
  • Divorce
  • Entering into or ceasing to be in a registered or de facto relationship
  • The death of a spouse or partner
  • Transitioning to a new gender 


The replacement passport showing your new name will be issued with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced.


Processing Time:

Allow up to 3 weeks to receive your new passport. If you have any questions, call us at +91 22 6757 4900 or email at [email protected].